Recap of Abilities Expo 2015 in Our Hometown of Boston!
Amramp had an exciting weekend at this year’s Abilities Expo, which was held the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center (Hall C) September 18-20. This annual convention is unique in that it is geared toward all ages and all disabilities. There was 3 days of workshops, cutting-edge assistive technology, and fun activities for the whole family. Everyone from children with disabilities to aging seniors was welcome and the event was free.
The workshops offered at the conference covered a wide range of topics but some of the highlights included:
- Exoskeleton Technology: A Step for Healthy Living – discussed the history and the future of exoskeleton technology, and how it has affected people who have suffered a spinal cord injury.
- How to Select the Right Accessible Vehicle for You – helped attendees navigate the complicated world of purchasing vans and accessible modifications.
- Wheelchair Travel: You Can Do It! – Attendees learned everything you need to know to travel well as a wheelchair user, discussing everything from how to board plane to what vacations best lend themselves to travelers with mobility concerns.
Since this conference is, at is core, meant to serve the entire community from children to wounded veterans to seniors, as well as their families and caregivers, there were many fun activities and events for everyone to enjoy, including:
- Service Dog Demonstration – Attendees met several assistance dogs and learned how they help their human partners achieve independence.
- Meet Paralympian Victoria Arlen! – Victoria Arlen, who after being in a vegetative state for nearly four years went on to win both gold and silver medals in swimming at the London Summer 2012 Paralympics, was in attendance at this year’s Abilities Expo. She signed autographs and shared her latest exploits with Project Walk Boston.
- Art Happening! Giant Floor Mural! – Artists and non-artists alike joined Zot Artz Art Happening where they created a floor mural using adapted art tools for walking, rolling, and stamping.
- Walk and Roll Dance Team Performance – Walk and Roll Foundation’s talented wheelchair dance team kicked off the day with a high energy performance and then invited attendees to join them on the dance floor to learn a few moves themselves.
- Cosplay Parade Hosted by Misa on Wheels – All ages joined in the first ever Abilities Expo Cosplay Parade hosted by Misa on Wheels, New England’s Most Notable Cosplayer on Wheels. Everyone came dressed as their favorite character were able to meet fellow cosplayers from the disability community.
Amramp is honored to have been counted among the exhibitors who were demonstrating the most cutting-edge assistive technology including:
- Bathroom equipment
- Beds, furnishings & accessories
- Chairs & accessories
- Clothing & apparel
- Daily living aids
- Durable medical equipment
- Exercise, recreational, sports equipment & services
- Vertical lifts and Stair lifts
- Wheelchairs, scooters & walkers
We had a great time at Abilities Expo and are looking forward to next year!
Wheelchair ramps installed in days not weeks
Please contact Amramp’s National Customer Service Center 888-715-7598
When you're looking for accessibility products, you need a company with experience. Amramp is familiar with the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act as well as local zoning laws.
Certified Aging in Place Speciliasts (CAPS) are trained by the National Association of Home Builders on remodeling and retrofitting existing homes for special needs.
Amramp can evaluate any home to determine what changes are needed to make the living space as accommodating as possible in the years ahead.
Check out Amramp’s full line of accessibility solutions or take advantage of Amramp’s FREE evaluation to review your needs and lay out a plan that is right for you by calling 888-715-7598 or emailing to email@example.com.