Amramp keeps pool areas safe and accessible for all
The season for backyard barbecues and pool parties is upon us. There is no better way to get the whole family or neighborhood together than with hamburgers, hotdogs, and water sports. What happens when you are unable to take advantage of cooling off in the pool in the beautiful weather due to a physical ailment?
Many people are misled to believe that wheelchair-accessible pools are only available in public areas or physical therapy centers. But, with Amramp, there are three particular ways to make an ordinary backyard pool wheelchair accessible.
Now, the whole family can have fun and feel safe together in the pool, with the help of one of these three accessibility products:
1. Pool Stairs
- Provide assistance from attached handrails when entering or exiting the pool from a standing position
- Must have uniform riser heights and uniform tread widths of 11-inches or more
- Open risers are not permitted
- Handrails must have a width between 20-24 inches and an extension at the top landing
- Located where the pool water does not exceed 48-inches and the pool deck is clear
- Can be manually operated, battery operated, or motorized as long as they can be used without assistance
- Seats must be at least 16-inches wide and 16-inches from the edge of the pool
- Must submerge at least 18-inches under water and able to carry at least 300 pounds
3. Sloped Entries
- Ramp must be at least 36-inches wide and no steeper than an 8.33% slope
- Use with aquatic wheelchairs rather than personal mobility device
- Submerged depth must be between 24-inches and 30-inches-deep to promote buoyancy
- Handrails must be provided on each side of the slope and be at least 33-inches-wide and 34-inches-high
You may now be thinking: my pool has stairs or sloped entries. In order to be considered accessible, they must abide by Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidlines (ADAAG). Some of these guidelines are outlined above. These rules are designed to ensure safety around the pool and to help prevent accidents.
“I just wanted to send you a quick hello to say thank you so very much for all of your help in getting my pool lift. I really appreciate all that you have done to help me in the process of obtaining my pool lift. Thank you for also coordinating with the MS Society and my local MS Center. It is fantastic! It helps me get into and out of my pool with such ease! It looks great.” Annemarie M. – Peabody, MA
Pool lifts, pool stairs, ramps and other accessibility products installed in days not weeks
Please contact Amramp’s National Customer Service Center 888-715-7598